[SLUG] How to post to lists

From: Matthew Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 14:26:08 EST

>From your post it's unclear if you have checked google, freshmeat,
sourceforge, or similar sites. If you have checked them, your post
should include which sites, and what search terms you use. A link to a
project that does something similar, but doesn't work for reasons you
give, wouldn't hurt either. Why? So that people helping you don't
retrace the same steps you've tried.

But that's only half the reason.

Listing such sites and attempts at effort indicate that you've already
tried solving your problem yourself. Part of the reason people are
really upset with you is that you don't seem to /try/ to solve problems
(or at least not try very hard) before asking for help on this list.

Geeks tend to get insulted when people ask them to do their menial work.
Geeks like challenges, not "I couldn't be bothered spending 5-15 minutes
finding this myself, so...could you do it for me?" Perhaps that's not
the case here, but your message's content certainly points toward that
direction.

There are numerous attempts on the web to enumerate do's and don'ts for
technical, open source mailing lists and newsgroups. You'd make more
friends (and fewer enemies) if you read them and followed their advice.

Thus spake David R. Meyer on the 10 day of the 01 month in the year 2003:

--
Matthew Moen