Re: [SLUG] Debian made easy

From: robin (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 18:58:13 EST

> Hmm, I think I need to meet you so that you can do my caricature :)
>
> Levi

I'm sure I'll get around to you eventually. Realize that I are *spozed*
to bee good at descriptioning people in a paragraph or too becuz I are a
perfeshinul righter!

And my description may not necessarily make you happy. Logan will
probably agree that I was accurate when describing him (and I have
witnesses to him calling himself an "ubergeek," including a reporter for
the Weekly Planet), but accuracy does not always make people happy.

Earlier today, George Washington University prof Tony Stanco (who went
with me to Jordan) was chiding me for having called him "chubby" in a
widely-read article. Tony did not say I was wrong; he is unquestionably
chubby. But his wife saw the article and has forcibly put him on a diet.
(So now we can describe Tony as both "chubby" and "whipped" if we're so
inclined!)

And so you know (and to make this post sort of on topic), Tony is a
major, super-ace, second-generation Linux and Open Source advocate. He
wears ties and shoes and socks and organizes VERY COOL workgroups and
conferences that help get more open source in government agencies. He is
a lawyer, not a geek. A policy wonk. Someone who is comfortable with
spreadsheets and Congressional committees, not a downdressed crazy like
ESR or Bruce Perens or RMS or maddog or ... err... (sometimes) me.

Not that I have any trouble speaking at Congressional or FCC or other
agency hearings wearing my usual loud Hawaiian shirts and sandals. But I
tend to go for humor (which is always good, especially in Washington
D.C., where there is a severe shortage of it), while people like Tony
are buttoned-down and pinstriped and are taken seriously by other people
who are also very serious -- even if they are a bit pudgy.

- Robin