Re: [SLUG] How to post to lists

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 19:58:21 EST

On Friday 10 January 2003 19:51, Matthew Moen wrote:
> Actually, your right..._if_ we're talking about newbies. After I
> posted, I realized that I should have mentioned something about this
> list being a LUG list that's supposed to be friendly to newbies.
> I (and the overwhelming majority of the users on this list) have no
> problem giving newbies extra slack.
>
> The trouble is, if you're running a LUG yourself, you're expected to
> understand basic netiquette concepts such as "Don't ask questions on lists
> without doing a minimum of 5 to 10 minutes of googling beforehand."
> Would you consider it acceptable for a 5 year old to demand Gerber(TM)
> and only Gerber(TM) rather than real food? Of course not. After you've
> been around long enough to understand basic netiquette you're expected to
> follow it as well.

On the other hand, if you don't bother to try and educate others on basic
netiquette, who will? Someone far less cordial, I'm sure.

I guess people who are getting their first computer and have never used the
Internet before require some lee-way. With Linux pre-installed on boxes, and
our guiding goal to steer people away from starting on Microsoft Operating
Systems, we should cut "total newbies" some slack. From folks who have been
on the list for a while, I rather expect the courtesy of a google first
though.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)