Re: [SLUG] How to post to lists

From: Matthew Moen (mattlists@younicks.org)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 11:37:54 EST

Thus spake Smitty on the 11 day of the 01 month in the year 2003:
> Two recent examples: Paul posted a job to the list, then offered a tee-shirt
> for sale. Review the threads and you will verify this for yourself.

Last I checked, this list is called the SLUG list. Posting something
about a SLUG t-shirt at the next meeting is a lot different than using
this list as a means of selling tons of stuff.../all/ the time. Perhaps
the t-shirt incident broke the letter of the SLUG laws, but certainly
not the spirit of promoting Linux and open source/free software in
general.

Besides, IIRC, Paul apologized for this. It's a weak argument at best.
At worst it's divisive. Not necessarily intentionally so.

(Frankly, I don't see any problem with selling small amounts of your
excess junk on a LUG list. Especially if your can somehow justify it as
giving back to the community somehow (as in selling it dirt cheap at,
say, 25% of the going rate, or even better...free!) Using LUG lists
excessively as a marketing tool is something else entirely.
Regardless, the SLUG rules as they stand don't allow sales on this
list due to previous and excessive abuses.)

As for the job incident, Paul made a mistake. I'm willing to forgive
him, seeing as he's human. IIRC, he apologized for this as well.

<snip: several chunks of essentially, "See Above">

> > I don't think it's unreasonable to keep it running long enough to allow
> > you to back up your seemingly unsubstantiated allegations.
> The allegations have been substantiated. This thread should have been
> terminated many days ago.

You have some very week allegations. Yes Paul is human. On very
rare occasions when he marginally breaks the letter of the rules,
he certainly isn't breaking the spirit of those rules. Furthermore, he
apologizes and tends not to make the same mistakes repeatedly.

--
Matthew Moen