Re: [SLUG] IP alias confusion

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@shawus.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 01:15:37 EST

Ryland Bingham wrote:
> I just setup a RH 8.0 on a laptop with built-in ethernet. I setup 3
> IP's, each on a virtual network device, so I have eth0, eth1, and eth2.
> They all have the same subnet mask, and are on the same network. From
> each Address I can talk to the rest of the world, the rest of the world
> can talk to each address. I can not talk from one any of the virtual
> IP's to any of the other virtual IP's.
>
> What's going on here? Do I need some rules in IPtables to get get this
> to work? I always thought that the IP alias was automatic in the kernel.

Whenever I have done virtual ethernet adapters, they have always been
eth0, eth0:1, eth0:2. Are you sure that yours should be eth0, eth1, and
eth2? Have you tried setting up and entry in your routing table? If
all of the adapters are set to go out to a gateway, then that could be
why you can't talk from one to another. Try something like:

route add -host 10.0.0.1 eth1
route add -host 192.168.1.1 eth2

--ronan