Re: [SLUG] IP alias confusion

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 08:17:08 EST

On Friday 10 January 2003 09:46, Ryland Bingham wrote:
> I just setup a RH 8.0 on a laptop with built-in ethernet. I
> setup 3 IP's, each on a virtual network device, so I have eth0,
> eth1, and eth2. They all have the same subnet mask, and are on
> the same network. From each Address I can talk to the rest of the
> world, the rest of the world can talk to each address. I can not
> talk from one any of the virtual IP's to any of the other virtual
> IP's.
>
> What's going on here? Do I need some rules in IPtables to get
> get this to work? I always thought that the IP alias was
> automatic in the kernel.

Hmm, as far as the problem above I realized I've not tried the
above. Can you do a ifconfig, then send a copy of your routing
table (netstat -nr) and post it?

Thinking of it what would be the purpose of talking between VIP's?
I've only used virutual IPs for web hosting.

Chasing through some RFC's I can see that they say fully independant
in discussing VIP, and I'm out of time but I'll try to find the
correct one later.

Either way you really should fall back on using eth0:1 etc in naming
each VIP.

--

Steve ___________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you more, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.x and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.