Re: [SLUG] Terminal Server client for debian

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 17:07:51 EST

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 16:42, Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> HOWEVER, the rdesktop package is inherently broken IMHO. It will fall apart
> after a few minutes of use, eventually leading to a unusable screen or a
> dead/hung process. It's really not ready for production. Even the latest CVS
> builds have these problems.

I use rdesktop occasionally when our NT Admin is out or needs help. I
haven't had the problems you've stated above. On a rare occasion in
windowed mode, rdesktop will start blinking wildly and will take 30
seconds or so to minimize in order to be usable. In full-screen mode, I
have run rdesktop for several hours without any hitches. I am running
version 1.1.0+cvs20020907 from a Debian package on gnome 1.4/XFree 4.2.

> If you want a reliable RDP session, you must use the Microsoft Terminal
> Services Client (MSTSC.EXE) with Wine (works well with CrossOver Office).
> Unfortunately, it is a bit slow.

Haven't tried this. There is an ICA client for Linux which works rather
well:
http://www.citrix.com/download/bin/license.asp?client=linux
Obviously, you will need the appropriate licenses and Citrix installed
on your Terminal Server.

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- An improperly trained Samurai dies quickly.