Re: [SLUG] Terminal Server client for debian

From: Andrew Wyatt (awyatt@fewt.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 17:22:07 EST

> HOWEVER, the rdesktop package is inherently broken IMHO. It will fall apart
> after a few minutes of use, eventually leading to a unusable screen or a
> dead/hung process. It's really not ready for production. Even the latest CVS
> builds have these problems.
>
> If you want a reliable RDP session, you must use the Microsoft Terminal
> Services Client (MSTSC.EXE) with Wine (works well with CrossOver Office).
> Unfortunately, it is a bit slow.
>
> Trust me, this is advice from A LOT of hands-on experience. I've been fighting
> with this for a few years now. Just recently, there was an install in town
> that tried to roll out hundreds of these Wyse thin-terms running Linux. I
> fought it pretty thoroughly - rdesktop is still a bust at the moment.

I have been using rdesktop for over a year now, and yes it was broken
for a month or so, but it has been solid since. I use it all day every
day to manage my Win2K farm. Maybe you should grab the latest patch
release of 1.1.0 (which is what I am using). :-)

--
Andrew Wyatt <awyatt@fewt.com>
FEWT Software - http://www.fewt.com