Re: [SLUG] Microsoft opens source code to govts

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 21:36:45 EST

        I think the opening of MS source is a danger to any developer who comes in contact with the code. It is, in fact, the tip of an insidious plot to destroy all existing software engineers. The subtlety of their long-term plan is ingenious!
        First, the upper echelons of programmers will gain access to the code. Soon afterward, fits of uncontrollable laughter will sweep through the population, killing the weak outright and weakening the rest to an extent that even small colds or excess dosages of caffeine will shove them over the edge. Junior and unemployed developers will move into the vacated positions, soon suffering similar fates. Soon, the world will begin suffering from a shortage of software growth, and will be forced to rely on a static codebase whose bugs will never be fixed and to which new features will never be added. Only a few underground, completely unhirable coders will survive, and they will have to remain in hiding for fear of overt assassination attempts.
        Finally, MS will come to the rescue, introducing a glut of its own developers, possibly products of their axlotl tanks, who are suspiciously identical and fiendishly immune to the hilarity inherent in the released MS source. These developers will take over all mainstream software production, becoming essentially a modern-day priesthood, allowing no code to be tainted by the eyes or editors of commoners.
        All is lost unless we can subvert some of these priests of the Ballmerni order. We must seduce them with the lures of Enlightenment, enchant them with the wonders of Vim (or possibly even the unholy Emacs), wile them with Galeon, and finally astound them with a full desktop operating system that does not require its host machine to have a 1GHz processor and 512M of RAM! We must sneeze our open-source virus onto them, spattering them with its phlegmy GPLness! Be prepared! Armageddon is coming!

Or maybe not, I dunno. :)

Levi