Re: [SLUG] USB CD Burner

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 17:55:27 EST

> > Poor choice of wording on my part. Linux has very good support for USB
> > (IMHO) except for the area of USB CD burners. I'm looking for
> > support/documentation/assistance with getting a USB CD burner to work on a
> > RH 8.0 desktop. The system did not see it with usbview and I'm not at it
> > right now to be able to run cdrecord -scanbus to see if it see's it there.
> > I'm just looking for assistance with USB CD burners and cannot find any
> > information on the web other than not currently supported.

What kind of burner is it? I have an old IDE CDRW that I put into a USB enclosure from Part II Research, effectively transforming it into a USB CDRW. It works fine with cdrecord and cdrdao (unless you bump it while it's burning). I just insert the usb-storage module, and I can access the burner as /dev/scd0 , /dev/sr0 , or /dev/sg0 (as long as I'm not using any of my other pseudo-SCSI devices at the time).

Let me know if any of this helps, or if I can provide more specifics.

Levi