Re: [SLUG] USB CD Burner

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 16:37:47 EST

On Friday 17 January 2003 03:24, cpace@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> > My linux server shows usb drivers upon boot-up.
> >
> > Redhat's Website:
> > This section only applies to those running a 2.4.x series kernel. For
> > those running a 2.2.x series kernel skip this section and follow the
> > 2.2.x Kernel USB Support section. The 2.4.x series kernels have USB
> > supported natively which makes it a bit easier to configure than for the
> > 2.2.x kernel series.
>
> Poor choice of wording on my part. Linux has very good support for USB
> (IMHO) except for the area of USB CD burners. I'm looking for
> support/documentation/assistance with getting a USB CD burner to work on a
> RH 8.0 desktop. The system did not see it with usbview and I'm not at it
> right now to be able to run cdrecord -scanbus to see if it see's it there.
> I'm just looking for assistance with USB CD burners and cannot find any
> information on the web other than not currently supported.

So the SCSI generic (sg) device doesn't handle USB CDROM "scsi devices"? Do
you see the /dev/sda CDROM device when you plug it in? If so, does "modprobe
sg" fix the problem? You're really interested in /dev/sg0 and how the sg
driver sees/treats the "virtual SCSI devices".

I really haven't had the chance to play with a USB CDR drive yet (exclusively
SCSI/IDE so far)., but I'd really like to get a USB/Firewire burner at some
point.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)