Re: [SLUG] files for Paul

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 05:23:58 EST

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 00:28:33 -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:

-> So I haven't a clue why you're getting odd
-> files with odd extensions.

I didn't even think the file names were odd--just surprised at
the odd starting point that they use for each fetch.

-> Two things, though. I don't see fetchmail
-> handing off the mail to procmail; there's nothing in the
.fetchmailrc
-> that tells it to use procmail for its delivery agent.

Sorry. I mentioned the .forward file in my earlier email, but I
didn't include it. It looks like this (just one single line),
and it's in the user's home directory:

"|exec /usr/bin/procmail"

-> Second, I notice
-> it appears you're running fetchmail as root
(/root/.fetchmailrc). This
-> is a bad idea for security reasons. Better to run fetchmail
as a regular
-> user.

You're correct that I'm running fetchmail as root. I sort of
got myself confused over this issue; I was wondering what if I
ended up handing off mail to two different users. But if that
were the case, it would be procmail that needs to be running as
root, wouldn't it?

-> And if you were (as root) to tell fetchmail to give the mail
-> procmail, it would ignore the /home/john/.procmailrc in favor
of the
-> /root/.procmailrc, if any.

Somewhere along the way I got the impression that procmail
always checks for a system-wide .procmailrc anyway. But I
didn't create one. When I get down to creating recipes, I think
I'll just add them as "includes" so I can have logically
organized groups of recipes. In the case where you had two
users set up, I imagine that some recipes might be global, and
others might apply only to one user.

I probably should set up another user so that I can get a better
understanding of what happens. Initially, I was just happy to
get ONE user working!;-)

John