Re: [SLUG] Redmond 8.0 <aka Redhat 8.0> loosing time

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 00:34:46 EST

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:36:17PM -0500, Ian C. Blenke wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 09:36:24PM -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:
> > There is also an FAQ on the SLUG site about this. Ian's explanation is
> > more eloquent in explaining the theory, and the FAQ is briefer and gets
> > more into the nuts and bolts of _how_.
>
> I've always been a big-picture type of guy. Explaining the theory behind
> something goes a long way toward the reasoning behind those terse
> command lines.

I more than agree, and appreciate the forays into theory. (I used to
spend hours in math classes deriving formulae for myself, so that when
the test came, if I forgot the formula, I could derive it. If you knew
_why_ the formula was that way, you understood things much better and
were unlikely to forget it. Ohmygosh-- what a geek I am!)

> As for the FAQ, can we change the rdate command to ntpdate? Using rdate
> assumes RFC868, which noone really leaves open anymore.

Before I posted the earlier message, I went and looked at the FAQ and
made that change. Next time I upload, it will be repaired.

Paul