Re: [SLUG] xwin probs

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 14:41:21 EST

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 08:19, Frank Robers _ SOTL wrote:
> But that doesn't really solve the problem.
> You still can not run the problem as a user.
> Since I have a similar problem with one program I would like to inquire
> "How do you fix that problem on a permanent bases?"

On a permanent basis, you obtain the xauth cookie from the first user and
import it into the .Xauthority file of the other user. There are other ways
to do this besides the "xauth merge ~user/.Xauthority" trick. Another common
one is:

        $ echo $DISPLAY
        :0.0
        $ su - root
        Password: ******************
        # export DISPLAY=:0.0
        # xauth add `su - icblenke -c xauth list $DISPLAY`

This type of thing is worked easily into profiles.

To answer your question: it *IS* possible to run your Xserver without
authentication whatsoever. To do this, you must edit your
kdmrc/gdm.conf/xinitrc to start "X :0" with the "-ac" flag.

        X :0 -ac

Try it with Xnest if you want to fool around. You will also want to lock down
TCP access as well so that others cannot connect outside the local box:

        X :0 -ac -nolisten tcp

As long as your box has nothing but trusted users, the above line is "Ok". If
you're on a shared untrusted box, never do such a thing.

Hope this helps.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)