Re: [SLUG] xwin probs

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 09:00:43 EST

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 07:05:25AM -0500, Levi Bard wrote:
> Speaking of nasty tricks, have you ever taken a screenshot of someone's
> desktop, set that as the background, then moved all their icons off the
> desktop?

Here's a useful one-liner that works on just about every version of X11:

        $ xwd -root -silent | xwud -noclick -geometry +0+0

Unfortunately, xwud doesn't allow you to set the root window - but you
can do the same with xv or one of the many other viewers (that
understand an xwd image dump).

An *ancient* "greyhat" (ok, perhaps not by today's standards) thing to do
is:

        $ xwd -root -silent -display target:0 | xwud -display :0

This will dump the screen from "target" (if I have unauthenticated permission
to connect remotely as with "xhost +") and let you view the screen
remotely. This works on ALL open unsecured X displays.

More fun can be had by taking control of their mouse and moving it for
them, or playing music with the console bell by sending the X11 primatives
to change pitch/duration of the default Xserver beeps (this worked
extremely well on older NCD xterminals :) All types of tricks can, and
will, be played on the unsuspecting.

- Ian