Re: [SLUG] Backup Solution

From: Andrew Wyatt (awyatt@fewt.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 10:53:41 EST

On 2003.01.23 10:02 Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> You can always use Microsoft's backup tools and store to a samba
> mapped
> file, but you end up with one large proprietary backup file that's no
> good without the Microsoft backup tool. For some things, like SQL
> server, I back up to a file using a scheduled task and then rsync that
> to our backup servers.

YUCK! When I first started here, we were using ntbackup to make images
of our data to tape then later to files, which were offloaded to a
loader using netbackup. This solution created more headaches than it
was worth! Using ntbackup created more stability problems than any
other application I have ever seen. I haven't had to reboot the machine
that served as our ntbackup master once since I migrated all of my
Wintel backups to Netbackup. I strongly recommend against even opening
the ntbackup software, much less using it LOL! I like the cygwin/rsync
method myself. If you are against installing cygwin you can use a
samba/tar combination on your server.

something like this:

smbmount //windows/c$ /mnt/backupmount
cd /backups
mv current_windows_backup prev_windows_backup
rm -rf /backups/prev_windows_backup.tgz
tar -cvzf prev_windows_backup.tgz prev_windows_backup
mkdir /backups/current_windows_backup
cd /mnt/backupmount
tar -cf - . | (cd /backups/current_windows_backup;tar -xvf -
.) >/var/log/backup.log 2>&1

It'll take a TON of space since it will run a full every time you back
up, but it will give you a solid backup.

Honestly though, you'll be happier with rsync.