Re: [SLUG] Other recommended local Linux training outfits?

From: Glenn Meyer (me@glennmeyer.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 17:18:55 EST

I completely agree with Michael. I get MUCH more out of class if I have
read a bunch before I go. Most classes I have had have been the
instructor showing me what's in the book that I could have read on my
own. Where I benefit the most is to have spent hours in the book and
hands on testing prior to the class and then spend the class time
clarifying what I don't understand.

Here's my take - most 5 day classes start at 8:30 and end at 4:30 with
an hour lunch. That's only 7 hours of possible training less time
wasted by Off-Topic conversations, "slow" students, equipement or setup
problems, etc. So realistically, you will have less the 30 hours.
That's just not enought to teach you the basics of file systems, user
management, installations, TCP/IP and networking, apache setup, DHCP
server setup, DNS server setup, etc.

Since the class time is generally expensive and since your access to a
"pro" is limited, use your time as well as you can by preparing as if
YOU had to teach the class (knowing it that well) and then use the
instructor to help with the parts you just can't figure out.

Personally, I won't go to any more hi-fee paid classes unless I know the
instructor's reputation. I have been to too many where I had obviously
studied more than the instructor. Now that's not to say that I haven't
had some really good ones, but I have also had several that had never
taught the class before, or were transitioning from a similar product,
etc - just not what I had expected for my $1600.

I've found that I can generally learn more, in less time, on my own with
a book and a small lab setup. I have even had two of my managers let me
learn at home with my own equipment. I told them what I've told you
above and then asked for the week off to study and mentioned there only
expense was a couple of books and a little software. It worked out
great both times. When I get really stuck, I'll google search or post
to a group like this and generally get better answers from real-life users.