Re: [SLUG] Linux courses

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 20:00:35 EST

> First, can we make a "SLUG Linux project" out of it? Is there
> any Linux "whiteboard" software out there? (Did somebody say
> VNC?) Streaming audio from the instructor? (Optional: what
> about those video camera thingies? Maybe the instructors face
> is, optionally, in a small window. Yes, it's jerky video, but
> who cares). And the whole group is connected and interactive-of
> course, feedback to the instructor is via keyboard. a la chat.
> Is this possible? Will the geek-appeal of setting up, and
> using, a training system in this manner make the actual courses
> more appealing? And I mean more appealing for both teacher and
> students.

I've tested out a few Linux whiteboard applications, all of which have significant flaws IMO. They are: Babylon, http://www.visopsys.org/andy/babylon/ , which is too network-intensive; Coccinella, http://hem.fyristorg.com/matben/ , which is difficult to set up and poorly documented; Drawboard, http://sf.net/projects/drawboard/ , my test users hated the interface, and Whiteboard, http://whiteboard.sf.net/ , which looks very nice but doesn't actually HAVE a whiteboard. There's also GnomeMeeting, http://www.gnomemeeting.org/ , which isn't a whiteboard at all, but which will allow for jerky streaming video and audio, as well as text feedback.

Of course, something like this could also be done using a web page and an irc room.

Levi