[SLUG] RE: Classes/courses

From: Maureen L. Thomas (elgato513@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 00:58:04 EST

I've been reading the classes/courses thread with great interest. I
still think of myself as a newbie. I can keep my distro updated with
the latest security fixes, use bastile to harden by box against
intruders, even compile some small programs to work on my machine. I've
learned how to look for software in rpm format. I even know some of the
basic commands like l, cd, mkdir, mv. I know a | redirects output,
kinda. But having used windblows for too many years it is harder to
learn "how to think" about solving a problem in linux than actually
doing the it. I've read TFM a couple of times. But there are just some
of those fine points that get stuck in the reading. Like grep, or why I
still cannot get my Kodak recognized from USB, or the card reader. I
can go over the excellent answers from those in SLUG who have tried to
help and (I know I am the one who missed something, I just don't know
what). I think that if classes were to come into being, whether in
person or via the net, that I would have to find some way to attend. I
learn best when I read the book, or fag or whatever then try to do it,
then when I screw it up have someone there that can explain to me what I
did wrong or what I did not do that needed to be done. I think the only
problem would be, IMHO, that some of the guru's of SLUG may have a
slightly harder time in breaking down what they know so a newbie would
grasp the Linux train of thought. I would also be more than willing to
type up class lessons or do what ever I am qualified to do to help.
 Maureen