[SLUG] vmware on redhat 8.0

From: ethan zimmerman (ethan@ethanzimmerman.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 22:25:52 EST

I'm having trouble getting VMware installed on my redhat 8.0 box. Here's
the summary of what's happening (as I understand it).

   -I run install script
   -VMware says that none of it's pre-compiled modules will work with my
current kernel, and asks if I want it to compile one for me
   -I say yes
   -VMware says I looked here (/usr/src/linux/include) for a directory of C
header files but didn't find any. would you mind telling me were they are.
   -I take an educated guess and tell it /usr/include
   -VMware says that the directory of kernel headers version doesn't match
my kernel version
   -I get confused because I'm a newbie

What do I do? Do I need to get a different version of GCC?

-------------Here Is The Terminal Dialogue-------------

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your
running kernel. Do you want this script to try to build the vmmon module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?

>> I said yes and hit enter

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

Argument "\x{67}\x{63}..." isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at
/usr/bin/vmware-coWhat is the location of the directory of C header files
that match your running
kernel?

>> I told it /usr/include

cpp0: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/include"
cpp0: warning: as it has already been specified as a non-system directory
The directory of kernel headers (version 2.4.9-9) does not match your running
kernel (version 2.4.18-14). Even if the module were to compile
successfully, it
would not load into the running kernel.