Re: [SLUG] Moving forward on the Training Issue

From: cpace@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 15:12:31 EST

Well, here is my understanding of the situation. Everyone keeps qualifying the
correct way to do things but in all honesty there is not a "one size fits all"
solution. While you may believe the CLI to be a fantastic and very fast way to
get things done, many others believe it is to cumbersome to have to deal with.
You and I probably share the same viewpoint that a PC is an unlimmited discovery
option and its fun to learn new things but many other users view it as a tool
and use it only to do specific tasks. Apple has survived thusfar due to these
people and has maintained a hardcore fan-base.

I propose that we categorize what the actual training is with possibly 3
classifications:

1) Home User
2) Power User
3) Administrator

Allhtough not everyone clearly fits into these areas, it at least makes them
more geared as far as instruction goes.

A) Home User - someone who simply wants to use the computer as a tool. Much
like their VCR still has 12:00 flashing on it because all it is to them is a
tool that they can push the record button and start recording a show, the same
as it is that their computer system is only turned on when they need to send an
email, balance their budget or write a report.

B) Power User - someone who is more of an enthusiast and would not mind taking
the time to learn new things. Many of your hardcore gammers are Power Users
because they will take the time to learn about new hardware, drivers, etc and
aren't afraid to have to do a system reinstall because they have already
experimented and killed their WinDoze box several times before. These are also
the people who desire to possibly get into the computer field and generally just
need a little push in the right direction or someone to show them where and how
to find answers. Some Power Users also aspire to becomer more which brings us
to the next level:

C) Administrator - These are the people that setup the Samba servers, Apache
running PHP Nuke portal services, linking to a backend MySQL server and running
120 sessions of User Mode Linux on 22 servers in a clustered environment with a
GFS mounted drive array (see Ian, I do listen to you <grin>). These are your
die hards and usually seriously CLI driven people because they understand the
complexities and intricacies of the environment.

I consider myself to be an aspiring Power User and hopefully someday an
Administrator but there are many people who I know would be just as happy having
a reliable OS on their computer at home that didn't crash on a daily basis but
don't care about config files or anything else. IMHO the classes that we setup
should be geared with a certain mindset and level. For example, setting up the
internet and firewall on your home Linux box would be considered a Level A and
possibly Level B class because Level B would benefit from a discussion about the
complexity of the iptables rules. Setting up a Samba server would most
definately be geared towards Level B and Level C people. Hell, we could even
give out our own SLUG certificates of achievement for people that complete
various trainings.

This is just my 0.02 as well and I appologize for the lenghtly reply :)

Pace

> Call me a fanatic, but I think everyone should know the command line if
> they want to use linux at all. At least at a level where they can maintain
their own
system.