[SLUG] Moving forward on the Training Issue

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 13:49:07 EST

>Most of the books out there that are written for
>newbies are still simple too complicated.

This is true for the most part.
Not to mention that they still sometimes have to much of the thought that
most are familiar with some form of Linux or Unix in some of them as well.

This is why I would like to see a book with screen shots that also have the
element of a quick guide that helps people from MAC, and PC background using
the other OS. They should have in this picture you see this is how you copy
a file using Win doze, in this one here is how you would do it using a Mac
and here is how we do it in Linux. Kind of like the suggestion that I have
given to Robin a while back for things to see on the Linux.com website.

Most newbies have a few bad habits. They think in Pictures with this is how
it should look.
I am use to using a GUI that has taken the commands and hidden them with a
script that runs in the background cause I do not care to see what makes
this work I just want this to happen attitude.

Most get the I want the click and point only thing and to see cute little
animations and my mouse is my tool because I also do not want to take the
time to learn how to use commands to fix things, tweak things nor to have to
use things I normally would never use. Not to mention I pay for tech support
so some one can talk me through each step. This is why I do not want to
learn Linux because it is too difficult if I have to do these things.

These are the most common responses I hear. They just want to plug it in or
have some video guide to walk them through it and turn it on then click and
go. This is why they also use things like AOL they want cute and click
things.

While we know you can make it that easy as well with some tweaks and patches
etc., They don’t want it.

Next they are afraid to give up Games and certain apps. So then you have to
convince them that there is equivalent or even better things out there.

So the approach has to address these issues and next it has to be simply
worded so that they do not get over whelmed. Not to mention get scared from
the concept of learning something new.

Now matter what the teaching methods being Video, Books or and Instructor is
to give easy examples and dialog. Make sure you come up with a method that
makes them excited and drawn in to want to do this.

Next you cannot use some ones copy written material without permission. This
also can cause problems if for instance you are using someone Video there is
also laws that covers them being used in a classroom situation.

We should come up with our own material that anyone can use. Next if we can
get people attending the meetings who bring Laptops and Pc's to agree to
work as teams with others who do not nor who dose not have any equipment
that they can bring in at the meetings to learn on.

Next we should also try to start with basics. If we go Redhat, S.u.S.E.,
Mandrake, Knoppix etc., they already get into a position that they will only
learn on one type of distro that come up a certain way Graphically to when
they see something else then they already get lost when starting up the
machine.

So then we come up with a basic series of teaching manuals or video showing
a distro using the basic of a default install of the distro. Starting with
is this Distro compatible with your equipment ? ? Why you want to check and
how to check. Now lets say we start with KDE for now.
Once it is installed we then talk about the basic commands with how to check
your available amount of memory, etc.,

How to use the Console mode to do basic commands and things we normally
would check.

I could go one for hours with this but this is just a beginning point. Next
we would need to have a website and I think using IRC would be a great way
to have to simulate a classroom online environment and we could also use a
streaming audio for those who have broadband.

I know it will get flamed but this is just a suggestion.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Bill Preece