Re: [SLUG] CD burner

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 17:47:23 EST

> Does anyone know of a cd burner software besides CD Record. Something that is not such a pain in the A$$ to use.

Nearly every cd burning application in Linux uses cdrecord or cdrdao as a backend. The good news: many of these have graphical interfaces that attempt to get around the pain-in-the-assness of the cdrecord command line interface. As previously mentioned, I use gnome-toaster, which will use either backend as appropriate, and is very drag & drop friendly.

> BTW, there has been a lot of discussion on the list lately of starting classes for Linux newbees. Want to know why people find linux/unix difficult? Mess around using CD Record, configure Sendmail and configure PPP from scratch. That ought to be enough of a list to keep you busy for a month or two. When you finish that with a newbee, start on vi.

I have never understood why every newcomer to Linux feels like s/he must configure sendmail, especially if s/he has an existing email account. Additionally, sendmail is notorious for bugs, security holes, and general disease of use. I suspect that distributors only package it as a joke, knowing full well that it is not fit for use by anyone, except possibly deranged monkeys that have contracted some sort of rare tropical illness.
Otherwise, I agree that burner setup and ppp configuration would be excellent topics. Ooo, and vi[m]!

Levi

(My opinions regarding sendmail and/or software in general do not necessarily represent those of SLUG, Bryan Adams, or the world in general. The hypothetical monkeys in this email are solely fictional works, and any resemblance they have to real monkeys, deranged or otherwise, is purely coincidental.)