Re: [SLUG] Lindows -> Linux

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 18:23:21 EST

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 08:32:44AM -0500, Matt Moen wrote:

> Thus spake Paul M Foster on the 29 day of the 01 month in the year 2003:
> -snip-
> > You do in fact run as root on this machine. There are no other users
> > configured out of the box.
> -snip-
>
> I'm just waiting for someone to find a vulnerability in the version of
> Mozilla that comes with Lindows, or with it's default e-mail client, or
> something like that. Even better would be a vulnerability in a daemon,
> although hopefully there aren't any of those running. Since everything
> is running as root, the machine will be toast and require a complete
> reinstall after such an intrusion.

Agreed. Though in my case, it's behind a firewall.

The real solution here is to make it so that the root-only programs are
in a menu all their own. Otherwise, Lindows would set up a user and
that's what you'd run as. If you wanted to download/install their
Click-N-Run crap, it'd ask you for your root password. Not that hard to
do, but apparently they didn't want to do it that way.

Paul