Re: [SLUG] Moving forward

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 18:45:36 EST

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 12:16:17PM -0500, Rock wrote:

> Where I am going with this is up to all of SLUG.

And SLUG's leaving it up to you. ;-}

Seriously, we'll back you as far as is feasible. But this is your baby,
and you're free to run with it. SLUG opinions would probably help, and
I'm sure you'll get a lot of those. The research into teaching texts
would probably be invaluable by itself.

If you're going to do live training, then I'd suggest a centrally
located place, like Tampa, and like PwC, where we hold the Tampa
meetings. I can't vouch for PwC, or for Tom (who's in charge of the
space). But it appears that these might have to be held outside of SLUG
meetings (though I don't mind using Tampa meetings to hold them), if you
want to do them more frequently than once a month. People (if it was
worth enough to them) would simply have to overcome the barriers to
getting there.

> I am collecting
> sources and volunteers to host presentations. I don't care what you
> teach as long as it is pertinent to learning Linux for all of us.
>
> Robert, do you have a particular interest that you would like to
> prepare a lesson for? Or maybe more than one?
>
> So far the response would indicate less than total excitement but I
> think that will change as the members see what is being developed and
> what topics will be addressed.

I've wouldn't call it "less than total excitement". This has been a very
long thread (or two), which tells you people have strong feelings about
it. A lot of them have barriers, but those are surmountable if you
promote this well enough and present something appealing enough. The
overall impression I get is that people are really interested in the
training, particularly if not expensive.

Paul