Re: [SLUG] Debian almost

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 13:44:55 EST

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 12:54:05PM -0500, Mike Manchester wrote:

> Thanks Paul;
> Being new to Debian, I'm not sure why but my dselect doesn't show any
> Xfree versions other than 4.1.0-16. How do I get the Xfree 3.3.6 to be
> available in dselect? I have all 7 disks.

Argh. I don't know which disk it's on, but the install apparently didn't
pick up that it's there in your case.

Go into dselect again and search for xserver-svga, not visually, but by
using the slash key (/). When you hit that key, it will allow you to
type in what you're looking for at the bottom, and then go find it. (If
you do a partial search, like "xserver", it may not land on what you
want. When it lands on the item you don't want, just use the backslash
[\] to continue the search. The search will wrap around if it gets to
the end of your package list) If you absolutely can't find it this way,
you have two other choices:

1. Update your package selection via the internet. This means going into
dselect and changing your Access method in the opening screen to Apt
(http, ftp, etc.). Ensure you're looking for "woody" or "stable" here.
Then choose "Update", which will update your package selection. You
should be careful with this. It may want to update some of the packages
you have installed, and it's tricky to prevent it from doing that.

2. Update your package selection by looking at the discs again. Again,
this is done by changing the Access method to "disc". Then select Update
again, and you'll have to feed it your CDs again. Somewhere on those
discs is xserver-svga. (I hope that's the one that will work.)

There is a third choice. You can change your Access method to apt (http,
ftp, etc.), and then get out of dselect. Then run

apt-get install xserver-svga

I haven't run this much, but one of two things will happen. If it's only
going to download that, it will just download it and configure it. If it
needs other support packages, it will calculate what they are, and then
stop and ask you if you want to continue. If you say yes, it will
download, install and configure them. I believe when you install
something like an xserver, a debconf dialog runs that asks you which
server you want to run. You can then pick xserver-svga, and it will
change the /etc/X11/X link for you.

Don't uninstall the 4.1 server until you get this working.

Paul