Re: [SLUG] vinyl conversions

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 10:18:22 EST

Hi Paul,

I've just completed a project just like what you are
trying to do on linux. Here's what I did:

I have the phono plugged into the phone in, and I have
the computer with in and out to the tape in/out.
Basically I'm using the computer like a tape player.
I haven't had any problem with the line out from my
cards. Of course I don't turn them up all the way
either. I just fiddle with them until it sounds good.
 Any way, start up a wav recorder to record
line-in(aux1) on the computer and start a record
playing. Record the song, and then find a wav editor
for Linux... I found a couple, but couldn't make it
work... ie. they wanted me to compile it and find all
the libraries it was dependent on... over my head at
that point. cut the head and tale noise off and then
run an ogg or mp3 encoder on it. After all this you
should have a file about 3.something meg for each
song. You will need at least 40-50 meg of free space
to work in for the wav, and editor. Just my 2 cents
and all. Have fun.

Rob