Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} mouse or lack of

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 19:02:09 EST

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 11:27:39AM +0100, A2L1 wrote:

> On Monday 24 February 2003 05:54 am, you wrote:
>
> > Piece of cake :) As you have seen, Knoppix defaults to read only
> > when it auto-mounts hd partitions. Just remount the partition (as root)
> > and give yourself Read/Write permissions for that partition. As an
> > example, let's say that your file happens to be on /dev/hda6. Type
> > "mount -t (filesystem-type) /dev/hda6 /hda6" and it will remount with
> > writes enabled. Make your changes, save the file, reboot and all is well
> > in Linuxland again. :)
> >
> > Jeff
>
> Thanks Jeff,
> But as of this morning, after repeaded failed attempts, I decided to just
> re-install and update the entire thing all over again. The practice will do
> me some good and it will also prompt me to get more into command line
> editors. So far after all my studies I have come to the conclusion that emacs
> seems the best suited( numerous online lists of keyboard commands and it
> seems more inclined to my type of usage) Again I thank you for your reply and
> kick myself for not thinking of it, but the entire system will be installed
> and updated by later tonite, I hope.

I don't want to start an editor war, but it you want something most like
what you'd find in DOS or Windows, try Nano. The command keys are listed
at the bottom of the screen, and it will do most any simple editing task
you want. Vi is a little hard to take if you've never dealt with an
editor with "modes" before (as in all DOS/Windows editors). Emacs will
work, but you really need a foot-thick manual to remember all the
commands. On the other hand, Emacs will also milk your cows, among other
things. If you want to do full-out syntax-hilighted code hacking, Nano's
not for you. But for simple editing tasks, it's a good choice.

Paul