Re: [SLUG] Hardware/processor questions

From: Andrew Wyatt (awyatt@fewt.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 20:17:20 EST

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 19:54, Bill Glidden wrote:
> I am wondering if there are any opinions on minimum processor speeds and/or
> ram amounts to run a decent linux installation, and if folks would be
> willing
> to share these opinions.
>
> I'm considering a Linux install for a friend's small retail establishment to
> function
> as a web/database server. Hardware cost is an issue.
>
> I'm just looking for anecdotal evidence: "I run RH 8.0 on a 450mhz P3 with
> 256mb, and
> it seems to work just fine", that kind of thing.
>
> Thanks.

Well..

I have RedHat 8 w/ 2.4.19 OR 2.4.21-pre4 running on the following:

Mobile Celeron 300 (so so performance)
AMD K6 400 (so so performance)
Mobile PII 400 (Decent, plays DivX well using XV, also runs starcraft at
full speed in WINE)
PIII 600 (Decent, fast enough for the average user.)
Mobile Celeron 1.6 (FAAAAAST! It's a new machine, so I'm bias, but this
should be the minimum haha)

-Andrew

--
Andrew Wyatt <awyatt@fewt.com>