[SLUG] LKM rootkits

From: Kai Lien (kai@theplaintiff.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 15:36:52 EST

One of our boxes got hack two nights ago. I believe it was LKM and
chkrootkit agrees also. I suspected that the cracker was using port 443
(https) to access the box since nmap from another box did not show any
suspectable ports. I believe the cracker had used a bindtty.c utility to
get a telnet prompt on tty1 using port 443. chkrootkit shows there were 1
process hidden from ps command and 1 process hidden from readdir command.

What tools are available to find out these hidden process?

I tried to compile knarkfind.c, but it errors out.

Ian or any linux gurus out there?

--
Kai Lien

Fortune Cookie of the Day: I have often regretted my speech, never my silence. -- Publilius Syrus