Re: [SLUG] Copy and paste???

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 09:53:13 EST

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 19:17, Mike Manchester wrote:

> > A couple of questions:
> > 1)Which nvidia card are you running on your desktop?
> PNY Gforce 4 with 64 megs

I highly suspect you will need the updated drivers that come with X
4.2.x to get that card recognized. The version of X on the stable distro
probably won't be adequate. Obviously, compiling the nvidia closed
drivers would be ideal.

> Can you recommend a book, web site etc. on Debian install and setup? I
> didn't find what I was looking for on Debians' web site. Plus it's hard
> to search the net when your machine can only run lynx. Is there a
> published listing of sites that have Debian packages? Such as you
> mention above?

Like many others on this list, I am self taught. I don't own any Debian
specific books, but I have purchased a few great reference books:
UNIX in a nutshell -- O'Reilly
Mastering Regular Expressions -- O'Reilly
Linux Programmers Reference Guide -- Osborne
Sendmail v8 -- O'Reilly
DNS and Bind -- O'Reilly
the list goes on and on.

I have always stumbled on the sites when I needed specific packages:
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/kde3-debian/ kde3.1
http://people.debian.org/~kov/debian/gnome2/ gnome2
http://people.debian.org/~branden/sid/i386/ xfree86 4.2
I don't know of any specific listings -- doesn't mean there aren't any.

Try subscribing to debian user:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/ #--very high volume--#
You might find more detailed support in a forum geared specifically to
your needs.
Or maybe the Xfree86 mailing lists:

> I have RedHat running now but would like to try Debian again. I guess I
> can't stand to be without pain :) Any tips on installing and setup
> would be helpful. If you have an email address I could use (send it to
> me off list) as once my machine is installed with Debian I don't have
> access to the slug mailing list (for some reason) I can read but can't
> post. So Debian must be doing something with my host name or email to
> make majordomo think I'm not a subscribed member.
> Then I could email with the errors when I get them.

OK. I will send you my home e-mail off-list.

> There is also one annoyance I have with Debian on the thinkpad and it's
> the fact that the screen goes blank after about 20 secs of now key hits.
> I also had this on the Desktop machine I tried to disable the APM on the
> desktop but that didn't seem to help it.

Hmmm, kde, gnome, or?

> My goals with Debian would be X windows, Ability to compile a kernel and
> have it work, Not blanking the screen, ability to post to slug and
> compiling the Nvidia drivers and having them work. Kinda goes along with
> X Windows. But getting Debian to run with the GNU nvidia driver would be
> ok.

Keep me apprised of your progress; I'm sure I can help.

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -- Jefferson