Re: Clarification: Re: [SLUG] Which linux database app recommended for replacement of MS Access?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 18:19:33 EST

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 09:05:53AM -0500, John Clay wrote:

> Thanks for all of the replies.
>
> I'd better clarify a bit:
>
> Our home office sends our project managers an access db file containing
> current project budget information. The project managers fire up access
> and review the information. They make no changes - just read the info.
> The desired information is selected via a query form with buttons and
> fields for query generation. Results are displayed in a subsequent form.
>
> I need a Linux application that will open the file and make use of both
> the db and forms.

If you really want to go Open Source and these guys aren't going to be
editing the data, I'd suggest using the web. You can write your web
pages in almost any language-- PHP, Perl/CGI, Python/CGI, or use Zope or
something similar (though that's likely overkill).

You can run PostgreSQL or MySQL on the back end, update it yourself, and
provide forms written in the above languages for querying, etc. All the
above languages have interfaces to both the above SQL back ends.

Paul