Re: [SLUG] two more Debian questions.

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 10:56:39 EST

There are a few different sound drivers to consider:

1. FreeOSS
        Built into your Linux kernel
        If your soundcard is supported, it doesn't hurt to try these first.
2. ALSA
        http://www.alsa-project.org
        For users willing to try something new, ALSA is where you should really
        consider.
3. OSS - Commercial greatly improved form of FreeOSS
        http://www.opensound.com/
        For users that have issues getting their sound to work,
        I recommend paying for a license.

As for apt sources, I've created a mirror of the ones I use:

        http://debian.blenke.com

It's a simple addition to the hosts I manage, and I can add more mirrors there
as I need to. There's nothing like hitting a downed apt source when doing an
update/upgrade - thus this mirror. I've been building from the list at
http://apt-get .org - if anyone has other useful sources, I'd love to hear
about them.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>