[SLUG] CUPS on RH 7.2, kdelibs questions.

From: John Clay (john.clay@lfr.com)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 13:26:53 EST

Can anyone give me a hint as to how to recompile kdelibs with CUPS
support?

Here is the reason/situation:

Subsequent to installing CUPS 1.1.14 (via configure, make, make install)
on my RH 7.2 box I discovered that RH doesn't include some necessary
files. They are:

$KDEDIR/lib/kde3/libkdeprint_cups.la
$KDEDIR/lib/kde3/libkdeprint-cups.so
$KDEDIR/share/apps/kdeprint/plugins/cups.print

According to cups.org this is because kdelibs wasn't compiled with CUPS
support. So, I tried installing a more recent version of kdelibs via RPM
in hopes that the newer version was so compiled. Quick lesson. The
dependency check canceled the installation - but you already knew that.
So:

Any hints as to how one approaches recompiling a package like this? I
haven't a clue.

How do I update an existing (RPM) package upon which other packages are
dependent without breaking other things?

Thanks

--
John Clay <john.clay@lfr.com>