Re: [SLUG] CUPS on RH 7.2, kdelibs questions.

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 14:10:13 EST

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 13:26, John Clay wrote:
> Can anyone give me a hint as to how to recompile kdelibs with CUPS
> support?
>
> Here is the reason/situation:
>
> Subsequent to installing CUPS 1.1.14 (via configure, make, make install)
> on my RH 7.2 box I discovered that RH doesn't include some necessary
> files. They are:
>
> $KDEDIR/lib/kde3/libkdeprint_cups.la
> $KDEDIR/lib/kde3/libkdeprint-cups.so
> $KDEDIR/share/apps/kdeprint/plugins/cups.print
>
> According to cups.org this is because kdelibs wasn't compiled with CUPS
> support. So, I tried installing a more recent version of kdelibs via RPM
> in hopes that the newer version was so compiled. Quick lesson. The
> dependency check canceled the installation - but you already knew that.
> So:
>
> Any hints as to how one approaches recompiling a package like this? I
> haven't a clue.

You'll need to get the source rpm for the package you're trying to
install. Since the only change you need is to support CUPS, you can get
the same version but just change some options in the spec file. E.g.:
Grab the source rpm and install it.
Edit the $RPMDIR/rpm/SPECS/kde*.spec file and add the proper option to
the %configure section.
Rebuild the source rpm:
  for rpm 4.0 -- rpmbuild -ba kdexxxx.spec
  for rpm 3.x -- rpm -ba kdexxxx.spec

> How do I update an existing (RPM) package upon which other packages are
> dependent without breaking other things?

You need to do an "update" rather than an install. E.g.,
rpm -Uvh name_of_package.rpm

Occasionally there are packages that depend on a particular version of a
library. You'll either have to rebuild all the packages that require the
library or upgrade them. Welcome to dependency hell.