Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] RE: Verison DSL

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 12:12:16 EST

> actually, the residetial modems are cap'd at around 2M down at a maximum and
> they don't even get close to a 128K up, let alone 256. I know this from viewing
> the setups to the modem as well as from experience on upstream bandwidth tests.

I have experienced 400+ KB/s downloads (suggests 3.5 Mbit to me), as well as 20 KB/s uploads (which might be 128Kbit and some measurement error). I have not altered my "modem" or done any of the other things people do to try to subvert the caps.

> The regular port scans are just to keep track of things that are going on so
> that if there is excessive abuse or if there is something that shouldn't be
> happening, it can be examined and/or dealt with if needed. Most Systems
> Administrators on large networks would probably agree with that because the more
> people you have on your network, the more potential there is for abuse.

I agree that they should keep track of what's happening on their networks. However, scanning open ports is a very poor way of doing so. It's ineffective and intrusive. It would be better for them to simply monitor the flow of traffic. If some hog is abusing, then that fact should become obvious from the fact that s/he's using 50G of upstream per day every day.

> And please understand that I don't dispute that if you are a standard home user
> business class is almost absurd in its pricing structure, but if you are in
> business, you are there to make $$$ and thats the bottom line. The business
> class is going to be priced more because of the options as well as priority
> because time is money and if you are down you are losing money and you need that
> tech out there ASAP to get this resolved.

The only reason I brought it up is that TW tried to force me, a home user, into the business class. I don't need any of the options like static ip, dns, vpn, blah blah blah. I wasn't running a business, and I wasn't reaping monetary gain. I was hosting pictures of my parents' grandchildren. In addition, a business could purchase a portion of a T1 for those rates and get more for its money.

About the people, maybe the ones I talked to were exceptions, or maybe they were nice people having a bad day. However, I have to say that they've definitely soured me on TW/whatever they are this week.

Levi