Re: [SLUG] SCO Suing IBM

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 15:22:04 EST

>Oddly, I can't imagine why they would pick on one of the richest
>companies in the world, unless they hope IBM settles. But if SCO loses
>this one, it may be the end of their company. What would be really
>hilarious would be if IBM _bought_ SCO in retaliation.

1) The reason they picked on IBM is obvious: stupidity.

2) IBM will only buy SCO in Bruce Perens' imagination. If they bought
SCO to avoid a lawsuit, everybody would sue them to get bought. Imagine
Quill & Mouse suing IBM for $10 million over use of the word "Mouse" and
getting bought for $2 million. Nice thought. But I think not.

IBM will almost certainly get some sort of restraining order if SCO
tries to pull their AIX license, and then will beat on SCO with motions
and discoveries and all kinds of other legal shenanigans until SCO can't
pay their lawyers (hourly fees on this kind of case) any more, and
that'll be that.

Meanwhile, let's not forget that The Open Group owns the "Unix"
trademark, and IBM is a major member/sponsor and might try to have SCO's
right to "Unix" revoked. Meanwhile, IBM goes to McDonalds, Ford, and
Target -- the three biggest OpenUnix licensees -- and offers to convert
them to Linux/IBM at an unbeatable price, and starts pitching SCO
resellers to join "The IBM Global Partners" team.

SCO doesn't win this one. Microsoft only got over on IBM because IBM was
in the middle of an antritrust action at the time. That's not going to
happen again. I don't get to use everything I learn in stories. but I
assure you that IBM's top management is not going to cave on this one.

- Robin