Re: [SLUG] SCO Suing IBM

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 15:01:24 EST

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 05:53:42PM -0500, steve wrote:

> On Friday 07 March 2003 07:22, Russell Hires wrote:
> > No, I think this is a HUGE event. And a sad one. On Linuxtoday,
> > there's oh, 4 different headlines from various sources about
> > this. And more on the way, I'm sure.
> >
> > Russell
>
> Hmm, I must be thick or something. I don't see how this affects
> Linux particularly. Linux code does not include SCO code. If AIX
> does then IBM will deal with it. It will not impede their Linux
> commitment, if anything the opposite.

One of the claims they're making is that Linux could not run so well on
Intel if IBM had not helped it along, thereby "contaminating" the Linux
source. Of course, such a claim is absurd, since IBM is a latecomer to
Linux source code, and Linus et al had Linux well in hand years before
IBM ever took notice.

Of course, SCO's claim to fame is that until Linux, theirs was the only
Unix variant (of any consequence) that ran on Intel. And now they're
suffering because Linux is stealing their market. Hence the "litigate
instead of innovate" strategy.

Oddly, I can't imagine why they would pick on one of the richest
companies in the world, unless they hope IBM settles. But if SCO loses
this one, it may be the end of their company. What would be really
hilarious would be if IBM _bought_ SCO in retaliation.

Paul