Re: [SLUG] RE: Verison DSL

From: cpace@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 16:05:10 EST

> Okay, stop right there. I have yet to hear a decent explanation for why
> Time Warner Cable is being renamed to Bright House Networks. It seems
> like Time Warner has great name recognition, if nothing else. Can you
> explain the name change?
>
> Paul

That, I can do. From my understanding when Time Warner came into this area,
they basically bought all the local cable operators and put them under one big
corporate umbrella so-to-say. I believe Advance Newhouse still had vested
interests in all the companies so we actually were considered Time
Warner/Advance Newhouse (as it stated on our paychecks). When AOL and TW merged
it was actually at a corporate level and not a business-unit level. This meant
that AOL would get profits from Time Warner and can dictate budget requirements
but the business still stayed the same due to the FCC ruling that allowed the
merger. That way AOL could not control RR even though Time Warner owned it.

The breakup that is now happening between Time Warner and AOL is kind of like a
divorce proceeding where they divy-up the property and kids. Advance Newhouse
decided that they wanted to buy out Time Warner on some of the cable regions
like Tampabay and Orlando as well as others accross the US because they seemed
to have the most potential as far as the affiliates go. So we are now solely
owned by Advance Newhouse but they did not want to be Advance Newhouse Cable or
anything like that, hence the change in the name. The name bright house
networks (I emphasize the use of lower case letters in that) came about as a
business decision amoung the owners. From my understanding, its supposed to
give a more warm and fuzzy feeling with the name and the reason they said
networks instead of cable is because we do provide more than just cable tv. So
this is where the name came from and now you know why we are no longer Time
Warner. We still will receive our feed from Time Warner but its more as a
customer versus a partner now. I can tell you that in the meeting we had, they
are very adamant about building the name to the status of Time Warners
recognition. We are the same people, just a different name basically.

Technically, I have been saying our name incorrectly in my past emails because
it is supposed to be "bright house networks" and not with a capitol "B".

Hope this helps some.

Pace