Re: [SLUG] home network

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 21:15:52 EST

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 07:08:04PM -0500, A2L1 wrote:

> On Thursday 13 March 2003 18:42, you wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 01:02:14PM -0500, A2L1 wrote:
>

> > Here's an idea. Are your drops from the same cable company? If so, then
> > the actual drops all come to one place on the outside of your house. As
> > splitter could be used to have two cables from one drop. (Any cable
> > people out there? I assume this would work?) Even if it's two cable
> > companies dropping to different sides of the house, you still might be
> > able to run from the remaining drop, under the eaves to the other point
> > of entrance. Of course, all this assumes a splitter would work on a
> > cable modem line.
> >
> > Paul
>

> Paul,
>
> Great idea wonder if it will work?? Im thinking like maybe both puters
> sending
> at the same time, what would route the traffic to prevent a bind? Or if that
> is a real issue? Both drops go into the same cable exterior box so that wont
> be a problem, but how do they share the IP??

Umm, well, uh, good question. ;-}

No, they can't share the same IP, because the traffic will end up being
routed to both computers.

If I know cable guys, they routed the "other" drop around the outside of
the house. In that case, you could replace the coax with Cat5 to the
"other" computer. Then you'd have to squeeze that Cat5 through the hole
where the "closer" cable drop comes in. The "closer" coax goes into your
cable box. From there to a router/gateway. The Cat5 you pulled in also
goes into that router/gateway.

Yeah, I know it sounds cheesy and like a lot of work, but I'd do that
before I tried to figure out wireless. And with wireless, you just may
have security issues you don't have with a solid wire connection.

Paul