Re: [SLUG] e commerce

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 00:00:52 EST

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 10:45:57PM -0500, Dennis McDonald wrote:

> I'm looking for help, someone with ecommerce experience, to help me with
> an online health/drug store, similar to drugstore.com, CVS or Eckerds. I
> want to use the oscommerce solution. https, dropship, affiliate
> experience would be helpful.
> Thanks
> Dennis

My hosting company says that most of their ecommerce people use
oscommerce. If I had a customer who needed ecommerce at the moment, I'd
try it, because it looks very slick. But I don't have direct experience
with it. I've used commerce.cgi in the past, but it's kinda cheesy and
the company that supposedly maintains it doesn't.

Otherwise, you'll need to be more specific about what kind of help you
need on what subject.

As for https, I do know something about this. You'll need to use this
for credit card processing, and it requires a certificate, which
requires ip-based hosting (not name-based hosting). If you can get your
hosting company to provide a certificate (as in using theirs), great. XO
does this, though I wouldn't recommend the company. My current hosting
company does not offer this. So I'd have to buy my own certificate.
Lowest you can get this down to for a reputable cert company is about
$120/yr (last I checked). You may be able to get certs from other
companies, but if it's not on their customer's browser's "trusted" list,
the user will get nagging messages about it.

I've never done credit card processing where the card is referred to an
online processor. My ecommerce customer has their own merchant service,
so they process their credit cards "offline", so to speak.

HTH,

Paul