RE: [SLUG] Apache behind Netgear Firewall

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 17:42:59 EST

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 13:14, Bill Glidden wrote:
> I have a netgear router, too.
> On the netgear administration menu (which is accessed through your
> web browser), there should be an option
> somewhere there for ports. I modified this on my router to
> send port 80 traffic to my linux system which is on my internal
> network. As I understand it (and please believe that I'm not a network
> expert, I live in databases), this will route external traffic on
> port 80 wherever you specify. Port 80 traffic internally (i.e. getting
> to the administration menus) will still work as before.
>
> Hopefully I haven't embarassed myself due to my limited networking
> knowledge.
> I only know that I got it to work for me ;)

I found out the problem. The Netgear RT314 does not allow modification
of firewall rulesets from the web administration screen. I needed to
access the Internal menu via a serial comm cable then allow forwarding
on Port80.

This works pretty well since HTTP and SMTP servers can reside on
different boxes but share the same public IP address. I'm configuring
DNS now. Wish me luck...