Re: [SLUG] Java on Debian

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 18:01:42 EST

> I can find rpm's and tarballs but I'm not able to find clear debian packages for
> Java. When I read on some of the sites there are apparent reasons there isn't a
> direct jvm for Debian. I like to go to some sites that basically require java
> (ie. chat.yahoo.com) but cannot until I can configure a vm or plugin for java on
> my debian box. Any suggestions?

I always get the rpm from Sun and convert it to .deb using alien. Once installed, that puts the jvm/jdk/sdk/whatever in a subdir of /usr/java , so remember to set your path appropriately.

Also, there are a few pretty decent non-java chat clients for y!, one of the more popular being Gyach, http://www4.infi.net/~cpinkham/gyach/

Levi