Re: [SLUG] A general UNIX question

From: Mark Polhamus (meplists@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2003 - 10:20:49 EST

Mike Manchester wrote:
> Why is it that on some systems the following will allow you use vi
> keymappings to edit the command line?
>
> set -o vi
>
> And on other systems (of the same vendor) that command will return an
> error?
>
> I'm guessing something like an env variable needs set, but comparing a
> working system with a non working systems doesn't turn up anything. vi
> is on both systems.

It is specific to the shell you are using, and the version of the shell (older
ones might not have it?). For tcsh it's "bindkey -v", bash "set -o vi".

I might be wrong, but I think that at a lower level it is usually handled by
the readline() library function. If that is the case, you might not get
command line editing if libreadline is missing.

-- Mark Polhamus