[SLUG] Standard Regular Expressions (REs)

From: Vernon (vsingleton@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 09:25:53 EST

Does anyone know of a list of "standard REs" that one might use to
validate the characters used in,
for example, an e-mail address, a phone number (domestic or
international), or a URL?

We are looking for a list that folks have thought about. Probably not a
list that strictly follows the
RFCs, because my suspicion is that "reality" does not exactly follow the
RFCs. Either the RFC is
more or less strict than the implimentations which are commonly accepted
(i.e. some standard).

To give a more concrete example of what we are looking for, something
like this

social security number
\d{3}-\d{2}-\d{4}
phone number
e-mail

But notice, one of these messy characters, [~!@#$%^&*()_+=],
may also be "allowed" in an e-mail address, so the REs just listed could
be better.

Vernon

P.S. What are the "less frightening" differences between REs in Java
and Perl?