Re: [SLUG] Standard Regular Expressions (REs)

From: Vernon (vsingleton@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 12:06:42 EST

Levi Bard wrote:

>I would definitely follow the RFC, and reject anything nonstandard.

What standards other than RFCs do you use?
Do they contain lists of REs for validating these things?

>For an email, I might use '[^ ]+@[^ ]+' , since characters like
>underscores are definitely allowed.

Have you ever noticed that real life does not conform with the RFCs?

>A phone number's more difficult,
>I have no idea for international.

Let's not build the list ourselves, if it already exists.

Again, what we are looking for is a list of "accepted" REs for
validating things like SS#, e-mail addresses,
international phone numbers, and URLs. Lots of MTAs reject underscores
in the first part of an e-mail address according to folks on other lists.

Vernon