Re: [SLUG] RE: DSL setup

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 18:13:51 EST

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 10:56:48PM -0500, Maureen L. Thomas wrote:

> This is a really dumb question but - do I have to use DNS to use my DSL.
> I have been connecting but occasionally it will just go down and I have
> to reconfigure everything in Linuxconfig and reboot to get it back. I'm
> using Mandrake 9.0 with Verizon DSL. This is all new to me so be
> patient. I tried RoaringPenguin's PPPOE but it doesn't work and
> Linuxconfig keeps giving me an error message for it. But the directions
> for RP PPPOE mentions setting up DNS and I was under the impression that
> I only needed it if I was set up as a server, which I'm not. I am a
> little confused on the server issue as you can tell. Your help is
> greatly appreciated. Maureen

If your Verizon DSL is like mine (New Port Richey), you don't need/can't
use PPPOE.

In order for you to talk to the internet, you need an IP address. When
you connect with Verizon, you need a DHCP client daemon (pump, dhcpcd)
that queries Verizon about what IP address they can give you. Chances
are, if you can surf most of the time, this is all done already. I'm not
sure if you really have to reconfigure everything when your DSL goes
down. This happens to me, and typically, I just unplug my DSL modem for
a few minutes. When it comes back up, I again have a DSL connection,
though perhaps with a different IP address. You can test whether your
connection is "up" by pinging a known address, like:

ping www.whitehouse.gov

Worst case, you may have to reset your DSL modem and restart your DHCP
daemon after that. There's probably a script that does this in your
/etc/init.d hierarchy, like:

/etc/init.d/pump down
/etc/inid.d/pump up

I've never used Mandrake, but that's in the ballpark.

Paul