Re: [SLUG] Linux Server

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 15:24:23 EST

I use debian when I need a simplified server to run on a low-end machine. It doesn't try to coerce you into installing a bunch of packages it thinks are best (RH,Mandrake,SuSE), and it has a great package management system, which saves you from having to rebuild twenty libraries from source to fit the dependencies for a security update (Slackware). I was using a 486SX/25 + debian + a 2GB hard disk as an mp3 server, until the power supply went out and it became apparent that I'm too lazy to fix it.

Now on the other hand, for a high-powered desktop machine I'd definitely use debian... :)

Levi