Re: [SLUG] gpm doesn't seem to work on Debian

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 09:52:13 EST

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 07:02, Mike Manchester wrote:
> I've install gpm in Debian. and looking at my mouse on the two systems
> they are different.
> Redhat:
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root /dev/mouse -> psaux
> Debian:
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root /dev/mouse -> gpmdata
>
> when I installed gpm in Debian I was presented with /dev/psaux as my
> mouse device. But for the life of me I can't seem to be able to high
> lite text in a console window with Debian.

What kind of mouse are you using? Is it a PS2 mouse? USB? Serial?

If you do the following --

$ cat /dev/mouse
OR
$ cat /dev/psaux
(move the mouse around and press the mouse buttons)

-- do you see the terminal cursor move and random characters appear?

If not, you may want to verify what your mouse device is.

To reconfigure the gpm settings, you can run gpmconfig or manually edit
/etc/gpm.conf and restart the gpm service.

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -- Jefferson