Re: [SLUG] floppy firewall and router.

From: Peter S. (Linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 18:06:27 EST

Coyote is a router, with some extra features.. (ipchains and masq
scripts)

http://www.routerdesign.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=listarticles&secid=1

Wolverine is a VPN and Firewall... noted today (did not know last I
looked at it in January) that they are wanting $50 or $30 for it, via
either their package (w/CD) or subscription ($5/month for 6
months...allows you to download the ISO)

http://www.vortech.net/modules.php?name=Purchase

"Version: 1.1.340

Embedded Coyote Linux distribution of Linux. This product is intended
for use as an alternative to commercial devices such as the Cisco PIX,
the FireBox, etc. Wolverine features a hardened Linux 2.4-based stateful
firewall along with IPSEC and PPTP VPN services. As it is intended to be
an embedded solution, the overall installation size is roughly 8Mb.

This kit includes the printed manual in a hard-cover, three ring binder
with Wolverine installation CD.

Price: USD$49.95

Decisions, decisions... depends on what your goal is. At home, I use
one of the cheesey little Accton router, I bought years ago. Allows
firmware updates, port forwarding, DMZ, etc. At work, I use a Cisco
PIX... Been eyeballing PIX 501 for home stuff. Just feel more
comfortable having a firewall that has no moving parts, or stuff that
can go "boom".

Coyote Linux gave me some good in-site on how to fiddle with the PIX at
work, not to mention that Cisco Certs. will help anyone in the IT
industry.

Pete